This Blue Ice Cave Tour includes a Super Jeep ride with a glacier trained local guide
COMBO TOUR ICE CAVE & GLACIER HIKE
In this tour, you will hike on the glacier, go into ice tunnels, moulins and visit our Blue Ice Cave. The ice tunnels and moulins are difficult to access and therefore we offer it as a more quiet and personal tour for our participants. We have max 8 persons in each group and the age limit is 16 years old.
This Ice Cave Expedition starts at our base camp in Hali where you will be briefed by your fully certified glacier guide and provided specialized fixed rope equipment and crampons (foot spikes), allowing us to explore the depths of Breiðamerkurjökull, our destination for the day. From Hali, we board our 4×4 super jeep and head onto the glacial outwash plain by following an old farming road called “Þröng”. Here you will begin to see the majestic ice-covered volcano, Öræfajökull as well as Breiðamerkurjökull.
Our guides decide if it’s safe enough to do the tour according to weather and safety conditions. If we cancel the tour due to weather or safety conditions it is refundable. The ice cave tour can take between 5 – 6 hours. The meeting point is at Glacier Adventure at Hali, 13 km east of Jökulsárlón.
The tour is guided by a specialist in glaciers and ice caves. Driving to the location can take 25 – 30 minutes and the walk to the ice cave/glacier can take 40 minutes. You should have in mind that the hike on this tour is always in the pure Icelandic nature, on gravel, rough terrain, and on a glacier. Please note! We will not be the only group visiting the ice cave.
You can see the northern light after the tour. In Iceland, you are able to see the northern lights for around eight months a year from late August until late April. Winter season is definitely the most common time to see the northern lights in Iceland. It is really nice to go watch the northern lights at the Glacier Lagoon, which is only 15 minutes away from our meeting point.
09:00, 9:45, 10:30* *in November, February & March.
Appropriate footwear and suitable outdoor clothing must be worn at all times. The tour operator reserves the rights to refuse participation if not correctly equipped since this will put the clients at risk. In case of refusal, refund will not be possible.
– Woolen socks
– Good waterproof hiking boots, high with good ankle support (can be rented from us)
– Base layer- wool or synthetic (no cotton!)
– Light and comfortable hiking trousers softshell for example (no jeans!)
– Wind and waterproof trousers
– Full sleeve base layer wool or synthetic (no cotton!)
– Thin fleece or similar
– Thick warm fleece, or puffy jacket down or synthetic, or just a nice warm jacket.
– Wind and waterproof jacket.
– Gloves. It´s good to have two pairs.
– Warm hat/beanie that might work under a helmet.
Note: beaine’s with pompom are not recommended since the pompom does not go
under the helmet.
– Buff or balaclava or neck gaiter.
– Backpack 28-40 L, that can room your equipment, camera food and drink for the day
and so on.
– Food for 6 hours tour
– 1-2 sandwiches depending on how much you need.
– 700 ml – 1 L of water or something else you like to drink (non alcoholic).
– Some energy rich and light food like 2-3 chocolate bars or something similar.